[hpsdr] Alex

Magnus Lindahl sm4rwi at telia.com
Tue Mar 10 08:13:31 PDT 2009

Hello Jeroen,

I share the same question.

Magnus, SM4RWI

-----Original Message-----
From: hpsdr-bounces at lists.hpsdr.org [mailto:hpsdr-bounces at lists.hpsdr.org]
On Behalf Of Jeroen Bastemeijer
Sent: Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:57 AM
To: Scott Cowling
Cc: hpsdr at lists.hpsdr.org
Subject: [hpsdr] Alex

Dear Scotty,

How are you? Very busy with the HPSDR-project, I guess. ;-) I don't want
to consume too much of your time, but I have one burning question (or
maybe it is more a remark).

Alexiares will only be offered as a ready build board. For some reason,
this doesn't seem right to me. Once we started the project, the general
idea was to build the boards ourselves. However, some people had
problems soldering the big FPGA's with small pins and other tiny
components. Therefore the assembled versions were offered as well.

At this moment we have a nice board (Alexiares), which could be fairly
easy assembled. There are just a few 'easy' SMD components and a lot of
through hole components. Through hole components are easy to assemble
for hams and a nightmare for contract manufacturers. Therefore it is not
clear to me why Alexiares is not even offered as a bare PCB and or as a
partial-kit. If  The kitting would be easy, because, if I remember
correctly, the cores are already wound.

The other advantage is that we could save money by assembling our own
board. The contract manufacturer did a good job on the last boards, so
that's not the reason for not using his services this time. But at this
moment there is no real need for a manufacturer to build the boards.

We could have some real ham-spirit in the project again by assembling
our own boards, and we could save some dollars by building the boards
ourselves. These saved dollars could be used for other exciting parts of
the HPSDR project, for example for the very neat Pandora enclosure.

I know there was some discussion about it on the list, but no real
answers were given (at least I couldn't find any). Hopefully you have
some time to answer this question. Or, even better, give an opportunity
to order Alexiares as a (partial) kit. ;-)

73 Jeroen PE1RGE