[hpsdr] Pandora thought

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Mar 16 06:38:04 PDT 2009

I heard back from the manufacturer.  As I suspected, they would treat
the plain box as a separate run -- as he put it, "the moment we make
changes ... there is no manufacturing tie between the two units."

There's not a lot of cost reduction that arises from the simplification;
we don't pay anything for cuts in the sheet metal.  There would be some
decrease because of fewer pieces (no top hatch and no slot covers) as
well as reduction in the number of PEM nuts.  Together those might be a
few dollars per box, but not a major reduction.

There are also setup fees that have to be amortized over the number of
units, and at quantity 25 that would be almost $20 per box (more if
there was any silkscreened logo or lettering).

Based on his back-of-the-envelope estimate, I think TAPR would have to
charge at least $150 each if we did a run of 25 "PC" (Pandora Companion)
enclosures.  If we got to quantity 100, the numbers make a bit more sense.

We can certainly start an interest list to see what kind of quantity we
would end up with at those prices, and I'll see if we can do that.

John
----