[hpsdr] Atlas orientation in Pandora...

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Mon Mar 16 08:12:04 PDT 2009

I'm not quite sure what you're driving at.

Pandora is designed for all connectors on the boards and on Alex to be
accessible from the back of the case.

In case it wasn't clear, Alex mounts with its connectors sticking out
the back of the box, so you can easily make the interconnections between
Merc, Penny, and Alex from the outside.  The only internal cabling is
the Alex controller cable.

We will have some extra holes drilled to allow you to route lines from,
e.g., a Pennywhistle mounted inside, back to the rear panel.  Current
thinking is to provide two holes above the Alex connectors for amplifier
in/out.

There will also be some holes in the front of the case for mic,
headphone, etc., connections if you want to install those.  (All these
extra holes will be either 7/32 or 1/4 inch, haven't finalized that yet,
with the idea that users can then drill them out to whatever size their
chosen connector requires.)

We envisioned two classes of users:

(a) operators, who probably want all the cabling at the back of the box,
and who would mount mic/headphone/key connectors on the front panel and
route them to the rear.  That gives a nice finished looking project on
the front.  (And, by the way, for SDR-1000 users, the footprint is such
that the SDR-1000 can sit on top of Pandora.)

(b) experimenters, for whom the back panel is really the front.  They'll
turn the box around and have all the connectors facing forward for easy
access.

Reversing Atlas so the boards pointed in would have required a totally
different enclosure design, and probably a larger box to make room for
all the cabling.  That just wasn't what we had in mind for the project.

John
----