[hpsdr] Pre-Selector alternative for Mercury - How to controll viaHPSDR/PowerSDR

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Mon Mar 30 22:01:15 PDT 2009

Alexander,

 From a purely technical point of view,  it should be possible to add
support for such a preselector to PowersSDR.

However,  it does not appear Heros has documented the USB protocol to
talk to the device and near as I can tell the software is not open
source.    If this were to be implemented in PowerSDR it would have
to be done with code and/or documentation that is compatible with the GPL.

So for me to work on this someone would have to get the USB control
protocol documented and/or sample code that can be used in a GPL'd
program.   I'd also need hardware to develop the code with.

An alternative would be to do our own little controller circuit in
place of the USB board.  From a quick read of the schematic  it looks
like all one needs to do is select the appropriate relays?  If that's
the case a simple I2C expander chip or two sitting on the I2C bus on
Atlas would likely do the job.

Regards,

Bill  (kd5tfd)