[hpsdr] Project proposal - Hermes

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sat May 23 20:49:46 PDT 2009

Hello Phil!

> Looks like a case of dejavue all over again!!

:-)

I just want to be sure Kevin considers the tradeoffs in his design
before it is frozen.

> One implementation of
> Hermes is to use Alex for its HPF/LPF/antenna switching and 6m preamp.
> In which case it will need the LTC6400-20 preamp unless we want to
> redesign Alex.
>
> A preamp is essential before the LT2208 if you want to have usable
> sensitivity on the higher HF bands. As many are finding with Mercury,
> the inherent selectivity of your antenna system is often sufficient for
> satisfactory performance on the HF bands without any additional
> filtering.

I am currently using Mercury with a 3-element SteppIR.  I'm sure odd
harmonics are getting in but I suspect it does a passable job of
rejecting severely out-of-band energy.  I am in a reasonably quiet
location.  I've found that Mercury doesn't need the preamp on 20 meters
although the increase in band noise when I connect the antenna is very
slight.

I've been doing side-by-side comparisons with a K3 (surprise!),
IC-756PRO2 and Mercury.  But that's a tale for another day when I have
more anecdotal data to help obfuscate things :-)

> By not putting a pre-amp on Hermes you are forcing the user
> to use an external one.
>
> Having been through this preamp - no preamp loop a few times I recommend
> we leave the LTC6400 preamp in circuit at all times and  use a
> switchable attenuator to take out the excess gain i.e. just like we do
> with Mercury.
>
> Happy to debate with you - since I don't have to re-do the PCB if it
> doesn't work :)

And I suspect I don't either!

73,

Lyle KK7P

PS- Thank you for the help with getting Mercury going.  I've also got my
built-from-a-bare-board Penelope running now, too.  If I could just get
an Alex kit...