[hpsdr] Hermes / Thor

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 25 16:20:10 PDT 2009

Thoughts
1. I wonder if 1394 interface would be worth doing giving more horsepower than USB2.
2.The idea of a transceiver on one board fits right in with my present project interfacing to  Penny and Mercury working my way up to 1.5 KW.
3. This would leave atlas for a VNA or other test equipment options.

Thor,
I have been playing with PDM for 25 years and glad to share thoughts with any designers.
A push pull modulator is a bit complicated and a bit tricky near zero modulation. It is pretty easy to build a floating switch with an opto, some diodes, a good mos driver and n channel FETs. many of us are doing this with a 1:1 isolation at 130 volts. Just as easy at 40 volts. All you need is a floating charge pump to hold the fets on. I have a friend sells driver board kits that will easily do the legal limit. Input is digital level. This circuit is easy to duplicate.
frank