[hpsdr] LPU Installation

joetorrey at cablelynx.com joetorrey at cablelynx.com
Mon May 18 15:46:57 PDT 2009

I finished building and installing the LPU over the weekend. I have it
installed in a cabinet with the janus/ozy, sdr1000, sdrIQ, control logic,
2nd preamp (receive) and sensors (temp., current, voltage); this is my
SDR. I could not use the supplied heatsinks; I fabricated my own by using
two TO-220 heatsinks for each regulator. I did not have quite enough room
in the cabinet with all of the other equipment already in there. I did not
mount the LPU on the Atlas board; I mounted it in a better place for
cooling purposes and less noise. I utilized a harness from a computer
supply that had been used for parts; this worked really good.

I have compared the LPU with my previous supply "PICO 120W @ WI" and the
LPU is better; the noise floor is lower with the LPU.

Thanks to all for all of the hard work with these improvements; I have and
am thoroughly enjoying this venture.

Joe
WD5Y