[hpsdr] finding more participants / developers

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sun May 3 18:39:24 PDT 2009

Hello Joseph!

> This, I also believe, is indicative of another problem that
> stymies collaboration. The hardware designs are not truly open and free.
> Much of it is available for use only on a non-commercial basis. This
> prevents for-profit entities from kitting the designs.

Please allow me to clarify.

The NCL does not prevent a for-profit company from producing the design.
  It simply requires that they obtain *permission* from the hardware
designers to produce the design.  Of course, the owners of the
intellectual property expressed in the design may decide to withhold
such permission.

The OHL, on the other hand, requires no permission.

In both cases, anyone who further develops the design is required to
contribute the changes back to the community as a condition of the license.

73,

Lyle KK7P