[hpsdr] Why?

lyle johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu May 14 04:48:09 PDT 2009

>...Wait till someone offends a large proportion of the list either
>by the quality or quantity of their contributions, then let whoever controls
>the list moderate by popular request, and, even better, put the rejected
>emails on a website somewhere (perhaps omitting libellous or profane parts as
>necessary).  Perhaps if the present quarrel had been more in the open, voices
>of moderation might have prevailed upon both parties to be reasonable.

I think the point being missed was that the domain, the mail list, -- in
short, the internet-related content and capability of the project -- were
taken away with no notice to most, if not all, of the subscribers to the list
and participants in the project(s).  It's kind of hard to then have a
multi-day, multi-way discussion on the list when there is no list, to come up
with a kinder, gentler response.

The hard work of a lot of people had clearly become at risk and subject to the
mood of one individual.  When that person was approached, the response was a
refusal to relinquish this level of control.

Something had to be done, and it had to be done very quickly.  So something
else was done.

Back to hardware/software/design.

73,

Lyle KK7P (who works for Elecraft, by the way)