[hpsdr] Which projects are available under OHL?

Rob Frohne frohro at wallawalla.edu
Fri May 15 18:47:56 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the reply.

I guess, indicating just what you said would be much better than it is
now.   Perhaps it would also be great to indicate how many  boards are
left before the first run  is over as well, with a date that the number
was last updated.  This might help TAPR sell the last ones by causing a
run at the end of their supply.

And I still don't know exactly what boards are under NCL by TAPR other
than Mercury.  Is every board in that condition, or only the ones they
have built boards for?  Dan told me that Penelope was OHL now, so I
guess I know about that one.  When is the license applied?  When boards
are printed?   After TAPR has a first run sold out?  Whenever a lead
developers decides to license it some way or other?

My worry is that the date which the license turns from NCL to OHL could
conceivably be a long time away.  Suppose the commercial venture Phil C.
is dealing with takes a long time, perhaps because there is talk of Ozy
II, etc.  Maybe they finally decide not to build any.  And suppose that
Ozy II doesn't come along either.  Perhaps TAPR won't sell out of its
Mercury boards because they require Ozy which they can't produce, and
which isn't available anywhere else, or perhaps the price the other
manufacturer sets is too steep.  It is possible that the license never
would turn to OHL.  Or perhaps it does turn to OHL, but by then, it is
obsoleted by something better.

I think Phil C. has convinced me that the NCL is problematic for
collaboration projects like this.  I don't have a great suggestion on
how to fix the problems we may be facing now, unless perhaps Phil C. and
TAPR could both agree to open everything up as OHL simultaneously
sometime soon.   If it would help, I would be willing to act as a go
between to try and facilitate that if needed.  Or perhaps that
possibility has already been discussed by TAPR and Phil C. and one of
the other isn't willing to do it.

We need to address these issues in order to encourage development on the
software.  I know it is a bit painful to think about this, and I
apologize for bumping a spot that is likely sore for some in the group.

73,

Rob, KL7NA