[hpsdr] Hermes

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Sat May 23 14:29:09 PDT 2009

I mentioned this before without any returned comments so here again as a
warning/request for correction of my misunderstanding.

I have one of the QS1R boards which does not have a preamp.  Input
voltage for the AD is basically Vdd plus the base breakdown voltage.  I
popped the AD by turning an external pre-amp on before turning the QS1R
on.  The preamp alone could not put out more voltage than the AD could
stand IF IT WERE TURNED ON.  Phil C. left the preamp off so that the
QS1R could be used in undersampling mode.  I would prefer to have the
preamp chip in line to protect the expensive
AD, even if it does  reduce the dynamic range a bit.  Or a jumper
block/solder link to put it in and out.  Comments welcome.  N0UU

  ****