[hpsdr] Penelope T2 orientation confusion

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Sat Nov 14 04:48:26 PST 2009

Hi guys. I'm looking for a definitive answer and explanation for this.

I have a TAPR-produced Penelope. When the errata #1 was issued back in
February, I rotated that transmitter as described. Originally, the primary
(pin 1 index dot was in the lower-right corner of the package (closest to
the BNC connector). It is now in the upper left corner. Now that I have
Pennywhistle, I have actually powered the board, and checked the output
level. I have lower than expected output on the higher bands. I can produce
over 500 mW up to about 20M, and that drops to about 370 mW at 10M, and
about 170 mW at 6M. I am getting accordingly lower output from Pennywhistle.

Looking at the schematic, I see that we run this transformer "in reverse".
That is, the output of U6 feeds into the secondary of T2 (pins 4 and 6). T2
steps the impedance down by 1.5 ratio to produce a 50 ohm output. If this is
correct, then the original orientation of T2 was correct.

Upon reviewing the datasheet for the ADT1.5-1 transformer, I note a rather
unusual (to me) pin arrangement. Pin 1 and pin 3 are the primary
connections, but pin 2 is the secondary center-tap. The secondary end
connections are on pins 4 and 6. Someone viewing the transformer from below
may incorrectly ASSUME that the side of the package with the three leads
connected is the center-tapped secondary, yes?

I am loathe to attempt to rotate T2 again, until I do so further research. I
hope to measure the signal levels at the output of the DAC filter sometime
this weekend, but would also welcome some thoughts on this.

Confused in NH,
Bruce N1RX