[hpsdr] UK VAT

John Melton John.Melton at Sun.COM
Wed Nov 18 23:35:13 PST 2009

 From the HM Customs and Revenue site:

2.3 What are the limits for customs duty and import VAT?

     * Commercial consignments of £18 or less are free from customs duty
and import VAT. For example, goods purchased over the internet with an
intrinsic value not exceeding £18, will not be charged any duty or VAT
but this does not include alcohol, tobacco products, perfume or toilet
waters, see paragraph 2.5, 2.6 and section 3.
     * If you are sent a gift with a value of £36 or less, and which
complies ,with the rules shown in paragraph 2.4. it will be free from
customs duty and import VAT, but this does not include alcohol, tobacco,
perfumes and toilet waters.
     * Customs duty becomes payable if the value of the goods is over
£120 but duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £7.

I recently received an XG-2 from Elecraft and had to pay VAT but no
import duty. It had declared on the customs slip:

8517 69 90 00 Radio-Telegraphic or Radio-Telephonic apparatus not used
in aircrafts

My credit card has been charged for Penny Whistle so I should be
receiving the kit soon and I will let everyone know what I had to pay.

My 2 daughters recently received 3 large boxes of goods shipped priority
from Los Angeles for their internet business and were expecting to have
to pay around £350 import duty and VAT and they arrived in 6 days with
nothing to pay!!  You can never tell!!

Regards,

John g0orx/n6lyt