[hpsdr] Proposal for a new Software project.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:59:52 PST 2009

Have you'll seen Frank's "FSM" talk abut how this should be done?
http://frank.brickle.googlepages.com/FSM-talk.pdf

I think the hardest part is defining interfaces.  What should the API
for an SDR core look like?

Does it allow for many frequencies to be tunned at the same time, how
are multiple audio feeds to be routed out of the engine.   What about
digital modes?  Hopefully we don't have to we don't need to convert to
audio first?  At what level to Morse code de-coding go?  What if the
transmitter doing the CW is drifting?  Hundreds of these kinds of
questions need to be answered

I've been in the software business for 20+ year, many large projects
and I know one thing -- getting the requirements and interfaces
"right" or not will determine if the project fails or not.  Most
failed project fail because of the poor quality of the up-front work
and lack of documentation of requirements and interfaces.  We call
this "system engineering" and it is the hardest part of the project

I think you need to divide the system into more parts than just
"engine" and "gui".  What if someone want s to run multiple front
ends?   What if some one wants to use a set of real hardware rotary
encoders for controls?  How does all this work get distributed over
multiple CPU cores?   Can the GPU be put to use?

--
=====
Chris Albertson