[hpsdr] Penelope -- Letting the smoke out...

Vern Kollas spoonman1227 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 9 12:51:09 PDT 2009

Greetings all..

So... I decided it was time to get both my Mercury and Penelope updated with the latest firmwares....  Mercury went fine as always.  However, when I powered up Penelope, she started smoking...  :-(

I have powered her up a few times before without any issues, but since I am still waiting on Alex/Pennywhistle, I haven't had her installed in Pandora.  After a little investigation, C4  (located right up next to T2) is the culprit.  Any ideas what might be shorting out this cap??  If I plug it back in, it just smokes some more.... No other parts seem to be hot or anything like that.  Otherwise, nothing else has changed since I last had it powered on.

Any ideas of what I should check first??

Thanks in advance and 73!!

Vern -- KC8YOH