[hpsdr] The Future of HPSDR?

John Ackermann jra at febo.com
Thu Oct 1 15:50:31 PDT 2009

I'll stick my neck out, too, since I'm not in a position to help with
this, but...

There's a software defined radio toolkit called Gnuradio
(http://gnuradio.org/trac) that allows you to "build" an SDR in a few
lines of high-level code.  It's written primarily for Linux but can be
made to work under Windows.  It's been used to create cellular and WiFi
systems, GPS receivers, and all nature of academic projects.

The software is hardware agnostic, but needs some sort of ADC/DAC device
to do anythign useful.  There's a driver interface for the Ettus
Research (http://www.ettus.com) USRP-1 (USB interface) and USRP-2 (GigE
interface), and they have been the hardware used for most of the
development.  The USRPs, though, are designed as very general purpose
devices, and while they can operate at HF, they can't deliver nearly the
HF performance or convenience of the HPSDR system.

An Gnuradio interface to HPSDR would be very, very cool.  It would
enable a "toolkit" approach to SDR development.  As good as PowerSDR is,
it's hard for the casual hacker to dig into, and its console structure
limits what you can do with things like multiple receivers.  The KISS
Konsole is more accessible, but is still built around a fairly fixed GUI
design.  With Gnuradio, you can easily try out very different concepts
in radio design.

I've been around long enough to know that "he who codes, rules" and that
ideas are a lot easier than actions, but I think a Gnuradio HPSDR
interface is a development effort that would pay dividends for a long
time to come.

John
----