[hpsdr] TeamSpeak audio 2009/Oct/03

John Melton John.Melton at Sun.COM
Sat Oct 3 08:10:28 PDT 2009

I have just listened to the Oct 3 TeamSpeak recording and just wanted to
make a couple of comments about the latest Ozy/Mercury firmware release
and the 2.9 release as there seems to be a little confusion about it's
capabilities.

The Ozy 1.7 and Mercury 2.8 release does not support multiple receivers
within a single Mercury card or multiple Mercury cards.  This release
just adds the support for split frequency/full duplex capability.  The
Ozy protocol now supports the ability to send frequency setting commands
to both Mercury and Penelope or to either of them independently.  This
is very useful if using HPSDR with transverters for satellite operation.

The 2.9 release of Mercury will support multiple receivers per Mercury
card.  We have had 3 working, but Kirk is in the middle of some redesign
  that will hopefully get us 4 per card.

The 2.9 release also supports multiple Mercury cards, currently with 1
receiver per card.  I have had 2 running but there are still some
problems with synchronization.  Ultimately we would expect to have
multiple receivers running on multiple Mercury cards.

To support this, I have split the interface to the hardware out as a
server that splits the I/Q receiver streams and will send the I/Q stream
for a specific receiver to a client application using UDP packets.

I have modified ghpsdr to communicate with the server rather than
directly to the hardware and can specify on the command line which
receiver to use.  The ghpsdr client currently looks just like the
existing one that is in the svn store.

Currently each client is sending back the audio left/right data stream
to the server and it is mixing all receivers and sending them out to Ozy
for output using the DAC on the Mercury card.  You can use the Pan
capability to move different receivers to different left/right positions
in the stereo audio space.

I am also planning on being able to send the audio stream to the local
computer sound card.  Mainly for when a receiver is running remotely
from the HPSDR hardware.

Currently I am running all this on a single Linux box, but it can be
split across multiple PC's.

The GUI now needs a lot of thought. I am looking at having a minimized
version of the receiver that only displays the panadapter and waterfall
to save real estate on the screen, and either have a button to maximize
it so you have all the buttons to change band/mode/filters or to have a
popup window with these on.

I have not looked at transmit in this architecture yet!

If anyone has any great ideas on the GUI or architecture let me know.

Regards,

John g0orx/n6lyt