[hpsdr] Mercury JTAG programming error - help!

Marco IK1ODO ik1odo at spin-it.com
Sat Oct 10 13:24:57 PDT 2009

I'm still having troubles with Mercury firmware update. I get a Can't
access JTAG chain error from Quartus.

I have been able to update Penny, so all the system (HW and SW)
should be fine. I'm tracing the trouble down to Mercury itself.
I checked continuity and shorts for all four JTAG signals.

A23 (TMS) -> pin 28 of the FPGA
A24 (TCH) -> pin 27
A27 (TDO) -> pin 29
A28 (TDI) -> pin 26

Continuity is ok, and there are no shorts. Only, TMS, TCH and TDO
have 100 kohm toward DGND, while TDI has 80-82 kohm, and the measure
is a little unstable.
According to the schematics, there should be only a 100k resistor and
pin 26 of the FPGA on this signal.
May someone measure the R between pin 9 of the JTAG connector, or pin
A28 of the 96 way connector, and ground?
At this point I suspect a defective FPGA :-(

73 - Marco IK1ODO