[hpsdr] Penny audio and Hermes

Anthony Taylor anthonytaylorengg at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 13 00:29:07 PDT 2009

Francis,

In addition to what Kevin has already pointed out, the following changes have been made to solve the thermal issue for the LTC2208:

A 2mm PTH via in the centre of the pad bordered with smaller vias on the sides, this will
Help in properly soldering the ADC pad to the PCB, I have provided a large pad on the bottom layer on which a copper heat sink can be directly soldered if required.

Since the ADC was located on the corner of the PCB in Mercury (due to the smaller PCB this could not have been prevented) proper dissipation was not available, if you have a look at the hermes top layer, the ADC has been placed near the centre.

I feel that these changes should allow enough dissipation area for the ADC to remain cooler. If not brute fore cooling using a heat sink on the bottom layer can be implemented.

73s,

Tony