[hpsdr] Mercury SSB Phase Noise Testing

Marco IK1ODO ik1odo at spin-it.com
Mon Oct 26 13:07:14 PDT 2009

In last days I also did some PN measurements on Mercury and Perseus
for comparison.
The file is in http://www.spinelectronics.eu/ftp/HPSDR_PN.pdf  - if
somebody wants to copy the file in the opensdr site, please do.
The complete excel file with calculations is available, of course.
Nico IV3NWV (the designer of Perseus) obtained comparable values for
Perseus, so I think that data are reliable.
AFAIK no commercial signal generator has such a low phase noise close
to the carrier, so I used a known good HP 10811A oscillator.
For comparison, I included in the plot the typical PN of the HP OCXO,
as per HP Journal data, and the PN of the Crystek 122.88 MHz
oscillator, scaled to 10 MHz (green curve)
The two receivers have similar architecture, and behave in a very similar way.

73 - Marco IK1ODO / AI4YF