[hpsdr] Latency.

Jeff Cook jeffrie at talktalk.net
Mon Sep 14 06:57:40 PDT 2009

I like controlling my HPSDR transceiver with the HRD program suite, but
came across a problem with latency which rendered the combination of
HPSDR and DM780 well nigh unusable.  And by latency I'm talking about a
gap of up to 5 seconds before HPSDR would respond to a command from HRD,
which if using digital modes is untenable.  The only reference I found
to using third-party software was in the SDR1000 operator manual, which
cites as an example configuring PowerSDR to run with MixW, and advises
one to configure PowerSDR and MixW's cat for use as with a Kenwood TS
2000.  This works very well with MixW, and so I did the same with HRD
which also works but with the latency problem as above.  Now it so
happens that others on the HRD forum were also talking about latency
problems in connection with the TS 2000, and so I did nothing assuming
that HRD's author would put the problem right in the fullness of time.
(When in doubt blame the author).

A couple of nights back I got to addressing the problem again and
decided I would try the other cat combinations that are available.  I
guess what I'm going to say next is as plain as a pike staff to most of
you, but just in case somebody out there is as daft as me the answer to
the problem is to configure HRD's connect window as: Company = Flex
Radio, Radio = PowerSDR and then configured PowerSDR's cat tab as: ID =
PowerSDR, and I've used a speed of 57,600 for both.  With this
configuration I have as near as makes no difference zero latency and can
now enjoy using my favourite transceiver with my favourite digital
control software. MixW is good but rather dated, whereas the HRD suite
of programs has a stunning user interface and is undergoing continual
improvement.

Given the software route involved in my setup i.e., HRD... Virtual Audio
Cable...Virtual Com Port (out)...Virtual Com Port (in)...Virtual Audio
Cable...PowerSDR or something like that, I had wondered if latency was
inevitable, well I guess some is, but now it is just a fraction of a
second and causes no problem.

Does anybody else have problems in visualising what's going on, or is it
just me?