[hpsdr] Linux in a FPGA, FPGA simulator...

Richard Ames richard at ames.id.au
Sat Sep 26 15:13:38 PDT 2009

There is an article in the October 2009 issue of Linux Journal titled
'FPGA Programing with Linux' that may be of interest to the group... a
quote:

"That said, modern FPGAs are powerful enough to let you squeeze several
Linux-compatible microprocessors, like the Nios, the PowerPC or the
Microblaze, inside them and still have lots of room for your own custom
circuits. In many cases, you can load certified CPU designs from
libraries and place them on silicon with simple commands, creating very
flexible, complete systems inside just one chip."

Which makes me imagine a Hermes or OzyII with Linux in it.......

The article led  me to the SCLive distribution
( http://sclive.wordpress.com/about/ ) which may also be of interest:

"The SCLive distribution features: The latest SystemC OSCI simulation
kernel, the required g++ compilers and libraries, an integrated
development environment, debugger, and waveform viewer. In addition
SCLive has both a Verilog and VHDL simulator to cover all of the
hardware description languages commonly in use."

Regards, Richard.