[hpsdr] M4-ATX, 250w output, 6v to 30v wide input Intelligent Automotive DC-DC Car PC Power Supply

Alan Hochhalter alanh137 at comcast.net
Fri Sep 25 19:57:48 PDT 2009

Henry Vredegoor wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Is there anybody on the list who has used this 12 Volt mobile PSU,
> maybe even as a PSU for HPSDR?
> Would like to know how this PSU behaves, in particular wrt. PSU noise etc.
>
> http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX-intelligent-ATX-automotive-power-supply-6-30V-power-your-PC-in-a-car-
>

> 73's,
>
> Henry.
Henry,

I don't have one of those, but if you go to
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ and search you'll find people who have
used that supply (and a number of similar supplies as well).  From what
I remember I think the reviews have been mixed.  It seems like the Opus
brand supplies have a better reputation. I've got an earlier Opus and an
M2-ATX.  My Opus failed due to user error, and so far the M2-ATX I got
to replace it when I needed one fast seems OK but it gets mixed reviews
as well.  It apparently has a tendency to fry motherboards when it
fails, so if the M4 has a similar design it may have the same issue.  A
set of hpsdr boards costs a lot more than my mini-itx motherboard.   The
mp3car store (I have no connection other than buying a few things and
being a forum member.) sells several models of supplies like that since
they're popular among people making their own in-car PC but they may not
be a convenient source depending on where you live.

Alan