[hpsdr] VS2008 PowerSDR compiler tips

ghbyrkit at chartermi.net ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Mon Apr 5 17:12:07 PDT 2010

To compile PowerSDR under VS2008, you need the following:
1) download the DirectX SDK (preferably August 2009) and install into the
C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK
folder.  It will offer to install into the "C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK (August 2009)", but you should probably change that.  Then make sure that the PortAudio project, in its properties, includes the 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX SDK" directory in the 'include files' path, for both the debug and release builds.  Doing this will provide DSound.h, and make it visible to the compiler.

2) you need to follow these directions from the April 18, 2009 email that David provided to Ken:

Thanks for the advice, David
Following your instructions below, I was able to build a working EXE (!)
Ken

Note - I am using the full version of Visual Studio and have installed the
DirectX SDK from Microsoft's web site. Also, on my setup, the ADO was
version 6, not 2.8

<snip>
Note that on Windows, dsound.h and DSound.h are the same file.
That header file needs to go in the PortAudio/portaudio/pa_win_ds folder.

And dsound.lib needs to be in PortAudio folder.

You may have a problem in compiling database.cs--"tye type or namespace name
'ADOX' could not be found".  Here's the recipe someone gave to me--

  --> in Visual Studio, in "Solution Explorer" pane, under PowerSDR project