[hpsdr] Still no joy getting ghpsdr to run on Ubuntu...

Roger and Diana Thompson rc143dr at embarqmail.com
Fri Apr 9 10:41:32 PDT 2010

Hello Pete,

I have ghpsdr running on Ubuntu 9.10, but it took me a while to get it
to work properly.

I copied the already mentioned files--rbf and initozi and I believe also
every applicable executable, etc that would work with the original
GHPSDR executable--from the ghpsdr_*3*_, bin folder. (It sounds like you
copied some of these from your windows directory and I am not sure if
there would be any difference.) The initozi from the GHPSDR3 directory
has the i2c writes commented out for janus, but also I believe there may
be something in one of the original GHPSDR executable files in the bin
directory that was causing issues. (By the time I got to this point I
was rather frustrated and wasn't very awake at 4:00AM:-) Needless to
say, at that hour I wasn't paying as close attention as I normally may
have been!

After doing this and restarting ghpsdr from the GHPSDR BIN directory,
the software was able to communicate properly with the Mercury without
bombing out. If this is succesful, you should hear a familiar relay
click towards the end of the ozi initialization routine from the Mercury
board.

As I said it is working, but I have issues with audio
popping/dropouts/distortion unless I disable all panadapter video
portions on the screen. Apparently, I need to learn a lot about resource
managment under Ubuntu to get this to work better.

I hope something here may help.

73,

Roger (N3AYY)