[hpsdr] Trimble Thunderbolt & Excalibur

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Mon Apr 26 07:03:13 PDT 2010

Chris:

Although the typical unit came from the factory within 1 Hz, I have had
reports of
two or three that did come 10 Hz off frequency.  I suggest you set it to
agree
with your Thunderbolt, and see if it moves again.  I have not had any
reports
of problems after re-setting the Excalibur oscillator.

There is no obvious source of 434.8 Hz signal on Excalibur.  Check
internal power rails for
oscillating regulators?   5 Volts drives the Oscillator.

I suspect a switching power supply somewhere is involved.
Look for ground loops involving the output,  or perhaps the scope, or
whatever you are driving
with the output connector.

If it is present at TP2, and no ground loop problems with the scope, and
clean 5 Volt rail,
then it has to be coming out of the Oscillator.  Perhaps a bad Crystek
Oscillator?

--- Graham / KE9H

==