[hpsdr] The door is open for any new-guy questions

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Thu Apr 29 14:49:24 PDT 2010

Just a couple of notes on asking questions:

1)  Please let us know what software you're using and what operating system.  There are at least two pieces of software to drive the OpenHPSDR hardware on Windows operating systems, at least two Linux versions of ghpsdr, and ghpsdr and MacHPSDR both run on the Mac.  If you don't let us know what software you're trying to use, it's hard for us to assist.

2)  Speaking as the developer of MacHPSDR, please let me know about bugs or enhancements.  You may think that I already know about it, but there is a fairly good chance that I don't.  The problem with writing software is that you know exactly how it's supposed to work, and it's difficult to think of things that will break it.  People using the code out in the wild are much more likely to show me the breakage.  There is an official bug tracker for MacHPSDR at http://mcdermj.lighthouseapp.com.  This should allow you to see what bugs are currently acknowledged, and allow you to make me aware of others.  Please don't be afraid to use it.  I might not get to changing the code right away, but having it on the "to-do" list is useful.

3)  Although I haven't had a problem with this yet, it should probably be said as long as I'm making a list.  Please remember that the developers have "day jobs" of various sorts and can be kinda busy.   We're (or at least I) are not trying to blow you off if you don't receive an answer right away.  It's usually just that we have a lot on our plate.  Speaking personally, I have two finals next week, five papers of various sorts coming due in the next two weeks (including a talk at Dayton), family coming into town for graduation in three weeks, and I have to move 3000 miles across the country in four weeks.  Your understanding is appreciated. :)

4)  Code contributions are welcome for MacHPSDR in the form of diffs.  You can get these by using your SVN client to generate diffs against the currently checked in code.  Right now I'm reviewing everything, but I'm sure I'll relinquish my Steve Jobs style control over the project soon.  Of course, it's GPL, so if you get really frustrated with my iron grip, you're more than welcome to fork it. ;)