[hpsdr] Books on SDR

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 09:50:52 PDT 2010

This stuff really does not go out of date.  What happens over time is that the hardware gets cheaper so now we can afford to do some of the things that only a government budget could do 25 years ago.  For example the first time I saw software processing of quadrature I/Q samples was on NASA pioneer Venus mission.  When was that?  Late 1970's I think.  No what changes is only the cost of hardware, theory moves slowly.    And about cost.  I think about it in terms of dollars per hour.  If it would take me (say) 200 hours to work through a $50 book then my cost is 25 cents per hour, cheap entertainment really.   (My wife pays more for her cable TV setup) If you only buy technical book at the rate you can read them unless you can read very fast the cost per year is low.

As for who represents the state of the art in SDR, I'd have to say the HAM radio is not it.  Government sponcered military systems are far in advance.  What is causing the ham comunity to make such slow progress is lack of software talent.