[hpsdr] Lack of Software Talent (Was Books on SDR)

richardh at iinet.net.au richardh at iinet.net.au
Fri Apr 30 17:52:29 PDT 2010

Yes I have struggled with software over the years and tried to contribute to a
number of projects with only limited success. I have managed a few designs with
microcontrollers and machine code, but this is a lot simpler = one of my designs
had 511 Bytes of object code! = had to fit into a 512 Byte space
The problem is that the beginner starts with a huge complex mass of interlinked code.
He has to have a fair bit of determination, time and the cerebral ability to
untangle this = particularly if there is little documentation.
In the case of HPSDR there has been a determined effort to make the code accessible.
The Verilog lectures are a wonderful resource and we have to thank Kirk Weedman
for this.
Documentation and code is available on SVN and the wiki.
Still the whole project is cutting edge stuff = it combines DSP, PC programming,
and FPGA coding in a complex system = it is no wonder that there arent too many
people able to contribute to code.
Verilog is not the easiest of languages and there is C, C# Java etc in various
parts of the system. Just getting the various programming IDEs up to speed takes
a bit of work.

Dont have the answer though apart from keep on working!

Richard VK6BRO .

On Fri Apr 30 16:33 , Lyle Johnson  sent: