[hpsdr] Hermes USB/ Ethernet - a vote for an ethernet as an option.

J & P Savage consult.js at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 04:56:04 PDT 2010

 <<Hi Rob,  I don't think we will have enough FPGA pins to have both
options. 73's Phil...

Like many lurkers here I am keenly awaiting the release of Hermes as an
entry point into SDR.
So I would urge caution about introducing novelty...
but I can see that ethernet would be a very attractive capability for many.

So if it can be cone without introducing too much risk,
why not implement ethernet in a way that would allow retention of USB ?
If there is a shortage of FPGA pins then presumably jumpers or links could
be used to enable / disable relevant interfaces
and route these FPGA signals to the correct interface.

Alternatively, how about introducing just enough additional connectivity
options such as pads for some header pins and perhaps some breakable links
so that an Ethernet module could be more easily added at a later stage as an
alternative to USB.

James