[hpsdr] OpenHPSDR software "New Horizons"

Ken N9VV n9vv at wowway.com
Tue Aug 10 09:56:58 PDT 2010

It is great humility that I send greetings to John Melton N6LYT, Dave
Larsen KV0S, Hermann DL3HVH, Dave McQuate WA8YWQ, Alberto I2PHD, Mario
DG0JBJ and Phil VK6APH. Each of these wizards has developed software to
bring the OpenHPSDR hardware to life with various new experimental tools
and objectives.

============== new software activities for OpenHPSDR =============
There has been an explosion of wondrous "New Horizon" software
experiments based on the OpenHPSDR hardware. Here are some of the
highlights. Please check the Wiki maintained by Dave KV0S for links and
details:

[ ] John Melton GØORX/N6LYT has created a brand new C++/Qt receiver
demonstration and experiment. It works with NetBeans IDE on both
WindowsXP and Linux Ubuntu 10.10 (latest Maverick Alpha-3) with Qt 6.9.1
(latest). It works equally well with less aggressive versions of Linux
and Qt.  John will announce his new horizon achievement on his blog.
Because of the popularity of C++/Qt, and it's portability, John has
really opened a "New Horizon" for OpenHPSDR. C++/Qt has been the basis
for the beautiful QuickSilver QS1R SDRMAXn code written by  Covington
N8VB. Lets see if we can learn from Phil's layout and ergonomic skills.
Look for John's code developments on his blog http://g0orx.blogspot.com/
and in his Qt folder on the svn:
svn://64.245.179.219/svn/repos_sdr_hpsdr/trunk/N6LYT/ghpsdr3/branches/qt
Looking into my crystal ball I see a rich development environment ahead
for John's proven I/Q server, dspserver demodulator, and now a separate
GUI in Qt/C++.  Because C++/Qt works so well on WindozeXP(R), I have a
movie listed on my webpage that will show you the tantalizing beginnings
of this blossoming new experiment in OpenHPSDR software.

[ ] John Melton GØORX/N6LYT has created a link between the
Gnuradio-Companion and his server for the Mercury receiver.
Gnuradio-Companion is the bleeding edge of the "flow graph" programming
paradigm. You have to see it to believe it. Gnuradio is no longer
limited to the USPR2 hardware. This opens another "New Horizon" for
OpenHPSDR. The Gnuradio-Companion code has not been publicly released.
Please contact John for a copy if you are an adventurous gnuradio fan.

[ ] Phil VK6APH has been weaving a new tapestry of Verilog FPGA code for
the "Aussie-II" (Ozy-II) controller board. This new board will perform
wonders with a Gigabit Ethernet interface to replace the tired old
captive USB 2.0 ports we have been using. Phil taught himself UDP/IP
functions and succeeded in incorporating them in his Verilog FPGA
design. This is indeed a "New Horizon" for OpenHPSDR and our
connectivity to LAN's and the Internet.
http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=OZYII

[ ] Dave McQuate WA8YWQ has proven a whole new area of development
exists by porting the Melton ghpsdr code to Windows using a Microsoft(R)
Visual Studio IDE. Watch for some stunning new examples from Dave. We
are so fortunate that Dave is among the "New Horizon" programmers in our
OpenHPSDR group. Here is Dave's SVN folder:
svn://64.245.179.219/svn/repos_hpsdr_kiss/branches/WA8YWQ

[ ] Alberto I2PHD has prepared and released an interface .dll so that
his popular WinRad program will work properly with the OpenHPSDR Mercury
receiver.  This broadens the appeal of WinRAD to a large audience.
ALberto's excellent work can be found here:
http://www.sdrham.com/winrad/index.html

[ ] Mario DG0JBJ has created "WinradHD" which is a handsome modification
of the original WinRad program. WinradHD now works with OpenHPSDR
Mercury receiver. Mario's work is located here:
http://www.hdsdr.de/

[ ] Hermann DL3HVH has ventured into the rarefied and exotic world of
parallel programming using the power of the CUDA processors on the
Nvidia Video cards. This has been a goal for many programmers for 2
years. Hermann succeeded where many have failed before. "CudaSharpDSP"
uses Nvidia Cuda GPU parallelism for HPSDR DSP code.  Watch for Hermann
to expand his CUDA programming to more OpenHPSDR modules. This is indeed
a "New Horizon" for OpenHPSDR. Danke Hermann.
April 8th announcement from Hermann:

Hermann has made great progress since April. Be sure to contact him for
more information if you or your colleagues are interested in CUDA
technologies.

Note: you will want to watch the Blogs and Wiki for progress reports on
the new Alex bandpass filters, Hermes single board transceiver, and
Apollo amplifier. Don't miss out on all the news - it is moving fast
toward "New Horizons" for all aspects of the OpenHPSDR project.
http://openhpsdr.org/

Each of the compilers, utilities, source code, and binaries are the
property of the owners and are covered by various licenses and
copyrights. It is your responsibility to abide by the restrictions
placed on the code by the author, OpenHPSDR, and TAPR.

----
rgds,
de Ken N9VV
http://www.n9vv.com