[hpsdr] Hermes

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Aug 5 20:55:01 PDT 2010

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your comments.

> I would go with Ethernet if the noise level can be controlled to an
> acceptable level.  I agree it would be nice if the USB-2 interface could
> remain and what about USB-3  which is just coming out.

I think we are a while away from a USB-3 equivalent to the FX2. 10G
Ethernet may also be possible in the future.

> In terms of Ethernet there are two modes - Infrastructure and Ad hoc.
> Infrastructure requires some sort of DHCP somewhere, but Ad hoc works
> between just 2 devices and does not require setting fixed ip addresses,
> switches or any DHCP,  just a simple crossover cable with 2 NIC's or no
> cables or switches with 2 WIFI devices.

The PHY chip we are going to use automatically takes care of crossovers so
a straight cable is all that is needed.

> I also think support for 10-100-1000 speeds whether automatic or by
> jumper should be available.

At the moment I don't plan to implement 10T speeds since it would only
allow 48/96kbps sampling rates. The PHY does support 10T so could be added
if enough interest.

73's Phil...VK6APH