[hpsdr] HPSDR software direction

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Fri Aug 6 01:21:07 PDT 2010

>  On 06/08/2010 08:20, Phil Harman wrote:
>> There needs to be a set of rules for defining an interface.
>
> I am in total agreement with a lot of what is being said about defining
> interfaces, having the system understand the capabilities of its
> hardware and software components and act accordingly. Unfortunately
> unless the hardware itself has a built in interface to describe its
> capabilities they have to be configured in the software, but it's
> configuration and not code.

Hi Bob,

Could you please elaborate a little on this issue.  The capabilities of
the hardware are (mostly) fixed or at least change infrequently.

In which case the DSP server will need to be modified to change its
response to "what hardware, what features and how to talk me" from time to
time.

Initially, why can't we just leave that problem with the DSP server
Surgeons rather than making this more complex than necessary?  After all
if these guys are able to build and maintain a DSP server then a few
changes due to new or increased hardware features is part of the ongoing
mantainence and enhancements to the sever.

If, for now, we just leave this issue for the 'few' then the 'masses' who
want to build GUIs can just get on with it.

73's Phil....VK6APH

73's Phil...VK6APH