[hpsdr] Step1....

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Aug 8 04:03:15 PDT 2010

All,

I just posted this to the SoftRock reflector.

73's Phil....VK6APH

Step1..

As others have reported, the openHPSDR group is having a similar discussion
on their reflector in relation to the future direction of our PC SDR
software.

We have recently decided to pursue a Client - Server architecture with the
following features:

-         open source

-         cross platform,  Win, MacOS and Linux

-         to use free development tools

-         Client and Server may be located on the same PC or separate PCs
located anywhere, world wide.

-         Clint-Server communications to be UDP/IP and/or TCP/IP based

-         Server to work with multiple makes and models of SDR hardware and
perform all DSP processing.

-         GUI based on Qt

By allowing the Server to undertake all the hardware interfacing and DSP we
hope that folks who are keen to try their hand at programming a GUI will be
so motivated.

We have a draft Client - Server  protocol document titled  "ghpsdr3
communication protocols 2010-08-07 " which can be found here

< http://openhpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Ghpsdr3>

This is a very early attempt at defining an interface "standard" and will be
modified and evolve over time. John, G0ORX/N6LYT, only wrote it in order to
get an interface to Multiple Mercury receivers working. However,  it is a
starting point that we can build on... Step1.

We have our first cross platform server thanks to John.  This currently
supports fixed frequency and Si570 USB interface SoftRocks. It also supports
the openHPSDR Mercury receiver for both single and multiple receivers and
boards.  The original server code was written for Linux and has been ported
to Windows by Dave, WA8YWQ.

John has also developed a Qt based GUI Client - more details to follow.

At the moment there is no transmit support but that will be added shortly.

There is a wealth of world class programming talent on both the openHPSDR
and Softrock reflectors.  Naturally, folks are welcome to pursue their own
interests but perhaps if there are some members here who would like to be
involved in the development then perhaps we can produce some SDR software
with world class features.

So, we are very much at Step1.... of which we expect will be an interesting,
and rewarding, journey.

73's Phil.VK6APH