[hpsdr] SMPS the wrong way to go

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Tue Aug 10 14:14:19 PDT 2010

Hi Francis.

I can assure you that a SMPSU constructed according to the advices given
by LT in their application reports and using the right components do NOT
introduce any spurs higher than the noise level in Hermes on any Amateur
bands (or  outside too). Even the oscillator frequency near 1,8 MHz is
down to -120dBm. I can not see any spikes higher than 5mV on input or
output when using an oscilloscope.

I was very skeptical to use SMPSU on the same board as the RX. If you use
a switching frequency lower than 600KHz it is very difficult to get rid of
the spurs, but at 1,5-2 MHz using modern ceramic capacitors and ferrite
beads in addition to shielding and proper grounding there will be no
problems.

On Hermes Beta the spurs coming from the other clocks on the board are
much more difficult to get rid of.

73, Kjell

På Tue, 10 Aug 2010 22:14:04 +0200, skrev FRANCIS CARCIA