[hpsdr] HPSDR newbie problems

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Fri Aug 27 16:24:22 PDT 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 3:29 PM, grrrrr at telus.net wrote:

> I am wondering if anybody can help me with a problem I'm having with new hardware.  I recently put together a new HPSDR ( LPU+Atlas+Magister+Mercury).  I built up Atlas and LPU, and they seem to be fine ( Atlas has 4.98V, 12.00V. -12.5V under load. ( I am using a 13.8V 10A linear psu to run the whole system).  10 MHz Clock source in all cases was Mercury.
>

> I put everything together, checked the jumpers, and attempted to get the system running with three systems;
>

> The first  system I tried was a Mac, with snow leopard, running MacHPSDR.  On starting the program, the FPGA on Magister appeared to load, an I heard the antenna relay on Mercury click, but nothing more.  It appeared that Mercury was not talking to Magister, and save was not sending any data down the USB pipe to the Mac software.

Have you updated Mercury to the latest software revision?  If you got a Merucry from TAPR, they've been sitting on the shelf a while and haven't been coded up with the newest code.  The Ozy code doesn't work right with the new version.  MacHPSDR's talking to Ozy/Magister because you're getting firmware loaded, it's just not receiving data.  You can check out the output from the "Console" application to see what's happening.  MacHPSDR prints a limited amount of debug there.  Also, if you go to the "About MacHPSDR" window, it should print versions of all the code in that dialog box.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com