[hpsdr] OCXO's for Griffin

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 15:06:15 PDT 2010

  Hi Phil,

Comments inline....

73's,

Henry.

On 8/30/2010 3:43 AM, Phil Harman wrote:
> Hi Henry,
>
> Given the high cost of a new OCXO my expectation is that TAPR will provide
> a version of the board with or without the OCXO.
This what I was hoping for Excalibur, but it didn't happen that way.
Remember that TAPR's (very legal) interest is a higher number of boards
to make a good deal on  manifacturing them.
This also goes for buying higher quantities of components.
Manufacturing some with or some without OXCO could also be more
expensive as could be testing of the different types of boards.

Since no bare PCB boards are made availlable and the Gerbers are not
released to the public until all the boards are sold, there is no option
but to buy a more expensive board with partly (expensive) hardware on it
you do not want/use.

> Given the low cost of the GPS receiver module then I would expect this to
> be included as standard.
>
> The board will have the ability to accept an external GPS locked 10MHz
> reference or an external OCXO that can use the internal GPS to lock it.
> The board will also accept an external 1 PPS signal.
>
> Whilst the board will also have an RS232 input, which could be connected
> to an external GPS receiver, I'm not sure how compatible the protocol is
> between different receivers.

Consider running a serial cable down to the shack from an outside active
GPS unit (Antenna plus integrated receiver) instead of running a (long)
UHF signal cable (coax, RF losses) from a passive antenna.

> Since there will always be a GPS receiver on board then we could use that
> for determining the current time.

You are right, I forgot the "requirement" to have an accurate time
source for WSPR.

 >>> Entering "Time Nuts" territory..... ;-)

External GPS timing solutions are also relatively cheap and widely
available these days and offer a wide range of options at the choice of
a particular user, including 1 PPS and 10 MHz options.

The defacto protocol for the majority of GPS units  is the NMEA protocol
I think , or can be selected in the setup of many GPS units.
Different common protocols are not that different and should be easy to
impelent as option in Griffin.
Maybe wise to include a small, PIC-like processor for this task instead
of doing this in the FPGA softcore processor.

This a particular area where a lot of personal preferences are present,
look at the "Time Nuts" mailing list.....
For these reasons II still would vote for an external time / clock
reference solution
> Since the board is intended to be powered on at all times we will use the
> latest SMPSU techniques to reduce the power consumption/heat. In which
> case it will make a nice 10MHz reference for the shack as well.

My general point is to give the individual buyer/user the option to
begin simple and (relatively) cheap and "grow" and expand to a more
elaborate setup if he wants or use already present equipment in the
shack without having to invest in hardware he does not use or want.