[hpsdr] Remote Base with Motorola Droid

Jeff Kelly jkelly at bellatlantic.net
Sun Feb 14 09:39:23 PST 2010

I have had some success running VNC and Skype/Fring on the Motorola Droid
to remote base PowerSDR.  Nothing fancy - using VAC to connect PowerSDR
to Skype and currently using Tight VNC server on my PC.  On the Droid I
have Skype installed, but currently Skype only supports text so another program,
Fring, works with Skype to support audio. Ultra VNC Pro, which is not free, is used
on the Droid for VNC.

I understand Verizon is going to support skype out-of-the-box shortly:
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-02-12/verizon-said-to-be-planning-to-offer-skype-on-its-mobile-phones.html

Fring doesn't support bluetooth so I had to use a wired earphone/mic on the Droid,
to hear and transmit well.  Adjust the levels on Skype for best transmit and receive audio.
I also used the transmit EQ on PowerSDR to increase some highs in my transmit audio.

Finding my PC on the internet for VNC is handled by DynDNS.

So if anyone was planning to play, hopefully this will encourage you.

Jeff
KT2K