[hpsdr] Solar Storm Analysis on Galazy Zoo

L. Van Warren van at wdv.com
Wed Feb 24 12:55:58 PST 2010

If you haven't participated in Galaxy Zoo, I highly recommend it.
It is fun, extremely informative, and is advancing the state of astronomy.

http://zooniverse.org

The ham radio population is ideally suited to contribute the expert
observations that affect us.

If I were a betting man I would wager that more solar discoveries will take
place in the next week, than have taken place in the history of astronomy.
that's the age we live in.

Van / AE5CC / wdv.com

Here is an invitation for you:

Dear Galaxy Zoo,

We've just launched a new project inspired by the success of your work
at Galaxy Zoo. http://www.solarstormwatch.com invites all of you to
assist scientists studying storms that eject millions of tonnes of
matter from the Sun's surface as they spread out throughout the inner
solar system.

Solar Stormwatch volunteers can spot these storms and track their
progress across space towards the Earth. Such storms can be harmful to
astronauts in orbit and have the potential to knock out communication
satellites, disrupt mobile phone networks and damage power lines. With
the public's help, Solar Stormwatch will allow solar scientists to
better understand these potentially dangerous storms and help to
forecast their arrival time at Earth.

The more people looking at the beautiful videos collected from NASA's
STEREO spacecraft, the more discoveries we will make. If you want to
take part, do log on to http://www.solarstormwatch.com.

The project is part of our Zooniverse network of sites, and we hope
through your efforts it'll produce as much exciting science as Galaxy
Zoo has done.

Chris

P.S. If you'd rather stick to galaxies, then Zoo 2 awaits your clicks
at http://www.galaxyzoo.org