[hpsdr] HPSDR CW ops please comment

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun Feb 7 07:30:20 PST 2010

Ken:

I am an infrequent CW operator with HPSDR, and others may comment,
but I would like to point out that several settings in PowerSDR have a
noticeable effect
on latency (audio processing time delay), and you generally want to
reduce the latency  for
fast CW operations.

For low latency in PowerSDR, you want to use smaller DSP buffer sizes,
smaller Audio Buffer sizes, and higher Sampling rates.  This also has an
effect on the
steepness of the filter skirts, and you may want to make some compromise
adjustments
to get to your personal optimum operating point with PowerSDR.

For a given Sampling Rate, if you set the Buffer size too small, you
will hear the
your computer "choking" on the data transfer, and will need to go back
to a larger
Audio Buffer size.

I suggest you refer to pages 8 and 9 in the Mercury manual, and Appendix
"A" of the
FlexRadio Systems Model 5000 manual for additional insight.

Audio Buffer Size:
PowerSDR Setup/Audio/Primary

Sampling Rate:
PowerSDR Setup/Audio/Primary