[hpsdr] John Melton client for Android

John Melton john.d.melton at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:07:01 PST 2010

Hi Narunas,

This is my first venture into Android code.  It seems fairly straight
forward , but thanks for your offer.

The current architecture is a device server that talks to the HPSDR over
USB and sends I/Q data streams over UDP with a command and control
connection over TCP.  The idea here is to support multiple receivers on
a single Mercury card and/or multiple Mercury cards with the device
server splitting the I/Q data streams.

For each receiver there is a DSP server that processes the I/Q data
stream and accepts TCP connections from clients.  The client sends
commands over the TCP connection that control the DSP code (DttSP) or
are forwarded to the device server (i.e. frequency commands).  The
spectrum data and the audio are sent multiplexed over the TCP connection
to the client. Currently the audio is 8 bit mono aLaw at 8000
samples/second.

I also have a device server that works with a simple Softrock receiver
and a sound card.  The dsp server needs to be aware it is running with a
fixed frequency receiver and translate the frequency changes into
commands to DttSP rather than sending it to the device server.  This is
already supported as the code supports a sub receiver that has to be
within the passband, so a client can just enable and use this.

It should be fairly easy to write a device server to support other SDR
hardware.  I have a UHFSDR kit on order and want to get that running for
monitoring 2 mtrs and 70 cm so I will also have something working with
the si570 chip fairly soon.

Regards,

John g0orx/n6lyt