[hpsdr] Toroid evaluation for filters, transformers, IIP3

Glenn glenn.mh.dk at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 14:25:05 PST 2010

Dear all

Please evaluate the possible filter toroid possibities explored here:

Frontend - Filters
Band-pass filters, first attempt:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake/hmode/bpf_intro.html
Quote: "...
After the disappointing results when I measured the initial BPF's,
they were readied long before I could reliably measure IP3, it was
clear that serious improvement was needed to have the BPF's not
effect the frontend's IP3 too much. On some bands like 40M, +50dBm
IIP3 or better is needed!
The voltage over the inductor should be kept as low as possible. This
means that the loaded Q of the filter should be kept low. Therefore
the bandwidth of the BPF should be made as wide as is acceptable.
There is obviously a trade off here.
Bigger toroids with a larger diameter are needed.
..."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake/hmode/frontend_intro.html
Quote: "...
Especially the T50 toroid based input band pass filters I used were a
problem. They would not allow the frontend's intercept point to
exceed +40dBm. But also the quartz roofing filter was limiting the
overall IP3 at +42dBm. The overall result of this combo was that the
IP3 was in the upper thirties, which is good by all means, but the
mixer could do much better, potentially over +50dBm on 40M...
..."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake/hmode/conclusion.html
Quote: "...
The best values are found on the bands where it is needed most namely
80M and 40M. Those values are easily exceeding +46dBm making it very
difficult to construct the surrounding subsystems (BPF and roofing
filter) so that they don't compromise the mixer's IP3.
I find it quite amazing that on 40M toroids with a size usually used
in 100W PEP transmitter output LPF's are required to remove the IP3
bottleneck in the receiver.
..."

Main page:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~martein/pa3ake/hmode/