[hpsdr] Penelope changes for Excalibur?

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at myfairpoint.net
Sun Jan 3 09:15:49 PST 2010

Riho, ES7AAZ asked:

> Is there any improvement of 10MHz harmonics on freq. 20, 30, 40, 50MHz
> when  Penelope 10MHz is disabled ?

I cannot say at this time, Riho. I disabled the 10 MHz clock on Penelope
before I had made any measurements on the harmonic frequencies. I hope to
make some measurements with the Penelope 10 MHz clock both enabled and
disabled sometime soon. I believe you will always have some nominal 10 MHz
energy coupled into the receiver regardless of which clock you choose. To
me, the issue is reducing the number of spurs generated by having fewer
clocks running. Since each 10 MHz clock will be slightly different in actual
frequency, each will produce their own distinct spurs. The idea is to
minimize the numbers of these by only running the oscillators needed.

73,
Bruce, N1RX