[hpsdr] OZYII

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 10:39:06 PST 2010

It would be really helpful if we could adopt protocols that are similar
to those transferring IQ data over the USRP2 and other new ethernet IQ
delivery radios (Flex CDRX3200 comes to mind ;-)  ).  They are
delivering or soon will be delivering IQ streams using the VITA 49
standard.  The Flex receiver already does, and the USRP2 will soon
deliver streams as UDP/IP so the packets can easily be routed through
switches.

One of the things we have found out with the USRP2 which led to a lot of
this development was that ethernet throttling (flow control) stuff just
does not get beyond most switches.  You therefore need to consume an
Ethernet port as dedicated to the IQ stream.  For my commercial
applications this was useless.  I wanted to take the 32 receive streams
from the Flex CDRX3200 and route them to distributed computing and to be
able to throttle them as needed.  For the USRP2, we could not reliably
transmit without the flow control.

I suggest that HPSDR take a longer view as it moves to GigE delivery.

While the USRP2 is using Xilinx, its cores, etc. are open source verilog
and adaptable.  I will be (or have) incorporating the CDRX3200 and other
receivers (Softronics MSDD6000) comes to mind into GNURadio. The Vita
49, UDP/IP, throttling, etc. will all be in the open source code (or
soon will be).  STEAL IT ALL as it becomes available.  That is what it
is there for.

Bob
N4HY

On 1/13/2010 8:25 PM, Phil Harman wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> What is happening with OZYII development?  From the Wiki it looks like it
>> has stalled back in October.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jim Maxwell
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I did reply to your direct email but it looks like you did not receiver it
> for some reason.
>
> The current status of OzyII is as follows:
>
> - I have successfully interface the Micrel PHY evaluation board to an Ozy
> board - see the photo on the Wiki.
>
> - I can send raw Ethernet frames between the board and the PC
>
> - I have modified KISS Konsole and replaced libUSB with SharpPcap so can
> now communicate with the OzyII board over Ethernet
>
> - I've replaced the USB interface code in the Ozy FPGA with an Ethernet
> equivalent and this works with KISS Konsole
>
> - I have a issue when operation full duplex using the evaluation board.
> This has very long tracks from the chip to the edge of the board and I
> think its just a crosstalk issue.
>
> - The person that was to layout the PCB has been over taken by other work
> projects.  Fortunately we have another volunteer who has just stated on
> the board.
>
> I have a draft Ethernet protocol document, basically a layer over the
> current USB one, that I'm happy to send you.
>
> Apologies for not updating the OzyII Wiki recently, I've been totally
> absorbed with completing Hermes.
>
> 73's Phil...VK6APH

(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"the only people for me are the mad ones,
  the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
  mad to be saved, desirous of everything at
  the same time, the ones who never yawn or
  say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn
  like fabulous yellow roman candles" Kerouac
Twitter:rwmcgwier
Active: Facebook,Myspace,LinkedIn