[hpsdr] libusb, Vista/Win 7 and Kiss now working

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Jan 16 19:37:15 PST 2010

> Phil,<br>
>   do you have any documentation on this ? Also the source code of the
> routine could be of help, without having to dig it out from the SVN. Or
> at least a pointer to the<br>
> specific file in the SVN where it can be found. And, better yet, a few
> lines maybe from Peter describing the algorithm behind.<br>

Hi Alberto,

I'll do a block diagram of this shortly but my drawing tools are on my
shack PC and it 42C today so sending this from the comfort of the A/C
study.

Lyle's link is correct but Peter shared this with me some time ago in
relation to his 3rd method SSB generation technique.

Assuming your mic signal is a float, +/- 1.0 max.

- Create a complex signal from the mic signal
- Multiply I and Q by the required compression gain
- Calculate the envelope for each I&Q pair i.e. E = SQRT(I^2 + Q^2)
- if E > 1 then divide I by E.
- This divided signal becomes your new mic signal.

Really simple but really effective, and impossible to do using analog
techniques.

KISS Konsole uses mic AGC and an optional 6dB per octave bass cut before
the clipper.

73's Phil...VK6APH