[hpsdr] Fwd: article: "No-knob" radio: the future of Warfighter communications?

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:04:51 PST 2010

You mean other than do several of the GNURadio developers own openhpsdr
hardware?

The "GNURadio developers" are not currently active in developing
hardware or firmware for OpenHPSDR that I am aware of but that could
change any moment.

The need to use GNURadio and other open source and/or GPL code is one of
raw necessity, not initial willingness.  But it has absolutely amazed me
as the performance and scope of GNURadio has improved with the proper
support for the last three years how one time detractors have turned
into advocates.  It is amazingly alike the response of ex-smokers to
cigarettes!

Even the pigs at the trough around the Beltway are playing the game and
figuring out that it does not hurt them in any significant way to do so
as long as they follow the rules!

GNURadio has been amazing bad at producing GUI's but at work we hired a
VT graduate (Tom Rondeau who I think will be a ham soon) and he has
built Qt GUI support into GNURadio and it is pretty easy to use.

The other thing, it is pretty easy to write GNURadio modems these days.
  Using GNURadio Companion (GRC) it is a VERY small workflow to produce
a fully functioning radio system, have it generate the necessary code,
and then if any new development needs doing, to get that added into to
the autogenerated code.

Bob

--
(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.