[hpsdr] HPSDR Front Panel

Boris Njegic boris.njegic at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 05:31:25 PDT 2010

Hi,
I have just finished modification of my FT-450 (www.9a9.me) so now I have
time to go for next project. I would like to make front panel for my HPSDR
setup.
My current setup is Atlas, Penny,PennyWhistler, Mercury, Ozy, 100W
amplifier, homemade tx/rx switch and waiting for Alex boards and Hermes to
be finished.
PC is ASRock ION 330 atom miniITX.

Wish list for now is:
1. Front panel will be a mix of functionality between IC7800 and FT5000
(Large front panel with as much direct calling of SDR functions)
2. Some functions will be added regarding SDR specifics.
3. There will be two large dials - first (5.5cm) for VFO A and second (4cm)
for VFO B (Or if you like for first and second receiver)
4. 7" Touch screen LCD
5. Only some specific functions will be implemented *only* on touch screen.
All other primary (operating) functions will be invocable with push buttons
or dials.
6. Front panel dimensions will be cca 425mm X 135mm
7. It will interface with PC as standard USB keyboard
8. Headphone connector.
9. Keyer connector.
10. Mic connector
11. 3 or 4 USB hub connectors on front panel
12. Dial for lower filter cutoff freq and Dial for Upper filter cutoff freq.
13. Cw speed dial
14. ....

Is there something I should take special care of? Remember this is my first
post about this so I am collecting ideas :-)

I am not EE so I will try to build this from parts that are posible to get
on internet or other sources.

Regards,
Boris
9A5ATY