[hpsdr] Hercules II

Ronald Cox w9kfb1 at mac.com
Sun Jul 25 04:05:13 PDT 2010

To Gerd (DJ8AY), TAPR, and HPSDR leaders,

I keep looking at the current offering of 100 Watt amplifiers for the HPSDR project and the one design I like best is the current Hercules.
For a follow on project or to make this Amplifier the AMP of choice, for a Hercules II, recommended changes are proposed as follows:

1. Use the same form factor as the Alex board set with the same mounting features, dimensions and match the input and output BNC connector locations exactly as applicable. Review the Alex design and use a modified version of it for incorporation into Hercules II for high performance RX and TX filtering. Place the heatsink so that the Pandora's cooling fan provisions will be effective in cooling the PAs. This would make Hercules II a drop in replacement for Alex in the Pandora box.

2. Keep the automatic band switching from Penelope/Hermes and antenna tuner controls as is or improve them per experience with Hercules I. Have an english version of the monitor software available (I understand that this is being developed now).

3. Resolve the current PA transistor availability and cost issues with a more cost effective modern PA design using FET's in a design similar to the state of the art used in Pennywhistle.

4. Include the Antenna switch and the 6 meter LNA in the design.

This would be a great step forward with HPSDR hardware.

Ron W9KFB
Indianapolis