[hpsdr] 48V DC PSUs

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 22:53:00 PDT 2010

Just thinking out loud here,

a cheap arc (a.k.a. stick) welder should give up to (adjustable)
45V AC at up to 100A intermittent and 50A continuous quite
cheaply.

Add some admittedly expensive diodes/capacitors+/-regulators,
and you have a pretty beefy PSU for a linear PA.

I'm not sure about leakage/magnetizing currents (i.e. efficiency)
etc.. though.

The money you save could then pay for the hernia surgery....

Cheers

Erich
VK5HSE

While researching Harris TV amp modules i came across the site of k3hkr
http://k3hkr.com/HARRIS101.html who recommended HP server 50V 57A psus. I
got one for $30 and it works fine although as currently built its probably
not OSHA compliant!