[hpsdr] PowerSDR alternatives?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Jul 10 21:56:40 PDT 2010

> What's REALLY needed is a way to interface to GNU Radio.    But one of the
> major design problens with HPSDR is that is does not use any "standard"
> interface and so will be forever dependent of OS level drivers.

Hi Chris,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by a "standard" interface.  The basic USB
protocol we established in 2007 has not changed, apart from adding new
features, since.  Since HPSDR was one of the first DDC/DUC transceivers I
suggest we actually set the "standard"!

One of the problems with USB SDR interfaces is that they are mostly designed
for receivers.  When you add a transmitter, and wish to operate full QSK,
then splitting Command and Control data and Audio/I&Q data is a disaster.
By imbedding C&C within real time data you get the optimum CW performance
which has resulted in the excellent QSK performance of HPSDR.

I'm not very familiar with the interface to GNU Radio but it appears to use
UDP. In which case the OzyII board presently being developed should be able
to provide data in any "standard" that uses this protocol. If you can please
let me know what the UDP standard is for GNU I'll look at implementing it as
an OzyII option.

73's Phil...VK6APH